Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Class Rules

 

I will admit picking classroom rules are challenging. I knew it would be a challenge to pick the "right" rules for my classroom. I always read the rules of any classroom I visit to see if I forgot an important rule. I remember "Keep your hands, feet, and objects to yourself" was extremely important rule when I was in school. My past teachers always told students not to bother anybody making the rule mandatory for my clas. School's hand books also presented a challenge for me. Handbooks are very detail. I believe if the information is in the handbook then it should not be on my rules since I plan to discuss the handbook with students. Classroom rules are designed to make your life easier. Anything that makes your life easier is tough to keep at a minimum of seven rules. I am sure any teacher could create two hundred rules and still be surprised about student's actions and behavior. I also wanted to combine "little kid" rules and "big kid" rules. Sharing and using kind words are stressed in Pre-K, Kindergarten and First Grade. Sharing and using kind words are important if you are five years old or sixty years old. Rules design to create responsibility for students such as being present and prepared are stressed in Second Grade and higher. Being present and prepared is listed in many college university class syllabuses. Somebody told me a classroom with rules set up and initiated during the start of the school year creates a better learning environment for students and less stress for the teacher.

I created my rules poster at Vista Print. I love the size of the poster. It’s the perfect size - not too big and not too small. I was excited to see polka dots used as a background. Polka dots are great. They are unisex due to the various color schemes. I found polka dot wrapping paper that I used for a bulletin board background. Polka dots can be adaptable for anything in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment